I am always looking for simple yet delicious food, cucumber & beef is one of them. As portrayed in the name it’s simply a combination of cucumber and beef. I don’t really know what it is called. I used to eat this dish back in IIUM, where I studied. I like the taste of cooked cucumber blended in the rich taste of meat sauce.
This is considered my own recipe as I prepare it based on my own taste. It can be served with almost anything; rice, pasta or bread. It all depends on your imagination. Normally, I serve it with elbow pasta, as it brings out the juice of the cucumber. It can also be eaten together with rice and other dishes. You should be creative to get the best taste of any food.
Cucumber & Beef Recipe
Serving: 2-3 persons
150 gm beef
1 large cucumber; cubed to medium size
1 medium tomatoes; diced
1 small red onion; sliced thinly
1 clove garlic; crushed
1/2 cup hot water
2 tablespoons cooking oil
Salt and pepper
1. Marinate the beef with salt, pepper and garlic. Set aside while you preparing other ingredients.
2. Heat oil in the heavy base pan on a medium heat. Saute the marinated beef until golden brown. The garlic will give fragrance to the beef. Cover and cook for approximately 4 minutes.
3. Add the sliced onion and cook until it is softened. Then add in the diced tomatoes. Cover and let it soften for about 2 minutes.
4. Add the cucumber cubes, saute for one minute before adding the hot water. Season with salt and pepper. Cover and reduce the heat. Let it simmer and cook until the meat is tender and the cucumber has softened. (Add more water if necessary)
5. Transfer to serving plate. Serve immediately.
Variation: You may add mayonnaise to this dish and serve with arab bread or flour tortilla. It taste just like a kebab. If the meat is sliced thinly, it would be even better.
1. I prefer to season the meat with salt and pepper at the beginning so that the meat has its own taste.
2. The usage of tomato in cooking as an agent to add flavor and to thicken the sauce.
3. It is important to use a hot water because it will bring out the taste of each ingredients quickly.